Tuesday 4 February 2014

What to D.O. next?

The Bunkhouse begins
A month into the new year, but only a few days since I finally finished my job.  January was supposed to be about handing over the bunkhouse project (done) and recruiting the new me (not done) but as often happens on Rum, it didn't quite go to plan!

None of the very fine candidates who applied for the job were quite what we were looking for so we've readvertised and I've stepped out of the game because I'm going off on holiday.  It's been over a year since I spent more than 10 days away from the island, so the next two and a half weeks will be a good opportunity to recharge and reassess where I am.

How am I feeling about being jobless?  Surprisingly upbeat!  I have a lot to think about, and so many possibilities.  I'm going to take this time to revisit my values and principles, work out what I'm good at and what I actually enjoy doing - and then find something to do that meets all my needs, not just the need to pay my rent.  Being the Development Officer in such a small and isolated community was challenging and rewarding, but very intense, and I'm not sure that I want to jump straight into another similar role just yet.

I've asked my housemate to move out, which has caused a rash of gossiping; one of the nice things about Rum is that although people will talk about you freely behind your back, they'll rarely tell you what they think to your face.  Actually, that's also one of the not-so-nice things about Rum.  I'm tired of sharing my space and I want to put myself first for a while, for a change: so there.  I'm putting up a metaphysical "Do not disturb" sign on my door.  I don't even feel that bad about doing it - after all, I'm not the only one in the village with spare rooms.

Rum in perspective
So far I'm not feeling as purpose-less as I feared I would.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Rum has become such a core part of my identity that I'm not sure who I'd be if I left.  Just another ordinary Joe living on the  mainland.  Does island life itself meet one of my needs - the need to feel special, to stand out in some small and not too noticeable way?  Another of the things I need to figure out...

No comments:

Post a Comment